Department of Bio-Technology
- Lab Facilities
- Photo Gallery
The Department of Biotechnology is one of the faculty constitutes center for of academic excellence. The department of Biotechnology was started in the year 2006 with an intake of 60 seats and offers UG program B.Tech in Biotechnology. It is situated in a separate Engineering Block (F Block-2 floors). The department has been engaged in imparting the highest level and quality of academic education and has focused upon addressing important scientific problems, which have gathered worldwide appreciation and recognition.
The strength of the department has been and continues to be excellence in teaching and good enough in research with the existing facilities. Key strengths of the department include six well qualified faculty members expertise in frontier level of research, the main areas of research being Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, Biosensors, Molecular biology, Industrial biotechnology, Bioprocess Engineering, Bio reaction engineering, Genetic engineering etc.
The focus of the department is presently on training the students in various theoretical and practical aspects of biotechnology which includes the practices of Genetic Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Mass transfer operations, Bio-informatics etc. At the same time department also encourages the faculty to carry out research work in the department.
The B.Tech program is aimed at inculcating research orientation in the students on the broad range of active research areas conducted by faculty members in the department. The laboratories are well equipped to carry out projects and experiments as per academic syllabus. The department has art of the best laboratory facilitates in the fields of Genetic Engineering, Microbiology, Immunology, Bioprocess Engineering, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics and other associated Engineering fields.
In addition to the formal education with an intensive practical exposure, the inherent talents of the students are explored and strengthened through regular counseling and personality development sessions, to improve the visualization, presentation capabilities, communication skills and leadership qualities etc. Students are encouraged and guided to conduct and present papers, attend workshops and seminars to get them acquainted with the latest and recent trends in science and technology.
Attaining global recognition by providing high quality education with creative and innovative trends in all the fields & emerging as the centre for excellence laying solid theoretical and practical foundation & contributing significantly to the society by providing need based service enriched with social and moral values to nurture leadership qualities.
To create an environment in which the engineering students can achieve their own set targets of excellence and to improve effectiveness in the field of Biotechnology.
Goals of the Department:
- To infuse useful technologies to enhance quality education among the students.
- To offer strong academic programs embedded with rich standards facilitating interactive learning and research oriented study with student centered approach.
- To update technical and technological skills through optimal utilization of resources and enhancing professionalism.
- To conduct International and National level seminars/conferences regularly.
- To implement community based learning methodology, provide service to the society and fulfill ongoing needs of the industry.
- To provide opportunity for every student to learn employability skills and create platform to exhibit their talents.
- To further strengthen the Research activities, through Paper Publications, encouraging faculty for doing PhD.
Department of Bio-Technology is offering the following course with intake of 60 students in the year 2006.
|S.NO||UG/PG||COURSES OFFERED||INTAKE OF STUDENTS|
|S.No||Name||Designation||Qualification||Area of Specialization||Experience|
|1||Dr. A. Swaroopa Rani||Asst.Professor||M.Tech.,Ph.D, PDF||Industrial Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering, Nano Biotechnology, Algal Biofuels, Downstream Processing, Biochemical Engineering||10 years
|2||Dr. K. Aruna||Asst.Professor & HOD||M.Tech., Ph.D||Nanotechnology and Biotechnology||10 years|
|3||Smt.N.Vijaya Lakshmi||Asst.Professor||M.Tech||Biotechnology||7 Years|
Non Teaching Staff
|1||G.Naga Raju||Mechanic||ITI, B.A||10 Years|
|2||M.Maheswara Rao||Junior Assistant||B.Sc, B.Ed||6 years|
|3||Y.S Prabhavathi||Junior Assistant||ITI||5 years|
|Room Description||Usage||Shared / Exclusive||Capacity||Rooms Equipped with|
|Class room for1st
Class room for 2nd
Class room for 3rd
Class room for 4th
|Basic Amenities like desk, tables, room light, green board, fans , tube lights and
|Tutorial rooms||All Class rooms||—||—||—|
|Seminar Room Number
|Student and Staff Seminars/Presentations
Green & White boards
|Meeting room Number
|Departmental meeting with faculty/students||Shared||20||Tables ,light, fans, White board,|
| Faculty rooms (n)
1)HOD room Room no F-108
2) Room no
F-104 for .Prof.
3)Room No for Asst. Prof. F-112
|For Faculty use||
|PC, Internet, Book rack, meeting space
Notice board,fan,light pc with internet
- LCD Projector
- OHP Projector
- Internet Facility
- Departmental library
Future Work based on the expertise and facilities available
- Modeling and simulation of production of enzymes like streptokinase an high value and low volume product
- Characterization of secondary metabolites like broad spectrum antibiotics.
- Characterization of certain enzymes and proteins by using HPLC.
- Production of Glutamic acid by using immobilized cells of Corynebacterium glutamicum.
- Studies on production of Xanthan gum.
No. of Experiments in each Laboratory
- Biochemistry lab – 9
- Cell biology & Microbiology lab – 13
- Molecular biology &Genetic Engineering lab – 11
- Down Stream processing lab – 11
- Bioinformatics lab – 6
- Bio Process Engineering lab – 6
- Instrumental Methods Analysis lab – 8
- Plant Tissue culture lab – 6
- Immunology lab – 9
Laboratory Equipments and List of Experiments
|S.No||Name of the – LAB||No of experiment can be conducted||Major equipment|
|1||Cell biology & Microbiology||13||Laminar Air flow Autoclave Rotary shaker BOD – incubator Hot air oven|
|2||Biochemistry||09||Hot air oven Electronic balance|
|3||Downstream processing||11||Laminar Air flow Autoclave|
|4||Molecular biology and Genetic Engineering||11||PCR Thermal cycler Horizontal Electrophoresis kit Vertical Electrophoresis kit U.V.Visible Spectrophotometer U.V.Transilluminator Gel Dryer Weighing balance Microfuge|
|5||Instrumental method of analysis||08||HPLC Dry bath Spectrophotometer|
|6||Bioprocess and engineering||06||Bioreactor Ultra freezer Incubator|
Advanced Instruments in The Department
Computer Controlled Bio Reactor
- Used for demonstration to B.Tech students and for carrying out Project work.
- Various projects like, alcohol production, enzyme production, amino acids production etc., can be carried out.
- Used for separation ,purification and estimation of proteins and enzymes.
UV-Vis Spectro photo meter
- Used to measure concentration of Biomolecules like DNA, proteins and organic acids.
- Costing more than Rs.5,00,000 – 02
- Costing more than Rs.50,000 – 12
(UV-Vis spectrophotometer, PCR, Laminar Air flow, Microscope, -20oC Deep freezer, Electronic balance, Dry water bath, centrifuge, incubator, hot air oven, electrophoresis, micropipettes, autoclave)
- Computer Facilities – 03
New Lab Proposals
|Equipments||Electronic balances||2||To weigh the chemicals it is required. This equipment is required to conduct the experiments as per the syllabus|
|Microscope(binocular, simple)||3||To observe the micro organisms.|
|Cold centrifuge||1||For the separation of different molecules based on the density at 4oC|
|Millipour water purifier||1||To sterilize the water|
|Refrigerator||2||To store the chemicals& cultures|
|Incubator and shaker||1||To incubate the cultures under stirring conditions|
|Compound microscope||6||To observe the micro organisms|
|Lyophilizer||1||For preserving the culture|
|PH meter||2||To estimate the PH values|
|Spectrofluorimeter||1||To measure the concentration of molecules|
|Distillation unit||3||To produce distilled water|
|Equipments||Computerized Gel doc||1||To visualize the bands after completion of electrophoresis|
|Laminar airflow||1||To maintain aseptic condition|
|Autoclave||1||For the sterilization|
|Digital PH meter||2||To estimate the PH values|
|Hot plate with stirrer||1||To maintain uniform suspension|
|Hot air oven||1||To maintain specific temperature|
|Computers||30||To perform bioinformatics experiments|
|Printer cum scanner||1||To take the printouts|
|Furniture||To establish new bioinformatics lab to place the systems|
|Tray Dryer||1||For purification the Fermented products|
|Floatationcell||1||To separate undesired products from the Fermented products|
|Air conditions||8||To maintain the specific temperature for culture room, bio informatics lab|
|Equipments||Waterproff PC tester||1||To estimate the water conductivity|
|Green house hood||1||Incubation of the plants|
|Separating Funnel||15||For Filtration|
|Micropippets||8||For measuring the low volume of samples|
|Micro filters||1||For Filtration|
|Test tube holding stands||4||To hold the test tubes|
|Culture tubes||250||To culture the organisms|
|Culture flask vessels||20||To culture the organisms|
|Pipetts||40||For measuring the solutions|
|Measuring cylinders||5||For measuring the solutions|
|Beakers||20||To store the solutions|
|Petri dishes||40||To culture the microbes|
|Microtome||1||To cut the thin slices|
|Teaching Kits||Immunology||10||To carry out the experiments in immunology lab|
|Miscellaneous(Like scissors syringes needles , aluminium foils, cotton rolls etc)||Supporting ancillary materials for smooth conducting of experiments|
About 1142 volumes of national and international books are available on Biotechnology.
About 62 titles of national and international authors are available.
|Dr. A. Swaroopa Rani||Assistant professor||M.Tech (Biotech), Ph.D (Biotech,IICT), PDF(Fra).||25 International|
|Dr. K. Aruna||Assistant Professor & HOD||M.Tech., Ph.D||07 International
|N.Vijaya Lakshmi||Assistant Professor||M.Tech||— International
|C.V.Krishnarjuna Reddy||Ad hoc Lecturer||M.Sc, MS.,(Ph.D)||03 International
|T.Mohammad Munawar||Ad hoc Lecturer||M.Tech.,(Ph.D)||12 International
|S.No||Name staff||Workshops and Short-term Courses are attended||Total|
Activities in the Department
There was active participation of the staff and students in the
- National level student’s symposium “AAVIRBHAV ’09” which was held at October 14th and 15th in the JNTUACE, Pulivendula.
- 2k run that was conducted by the staff and students of the biotechnology department in order to raise the funds to serve the flood affected people in Kurnool.
- Charity, service and donations that were contributed by the biotechnology students to the poor school students. This event got good public response.
Student Activities in the Department
Papers which were presented by the students have got selected not only in the reputed colleges of Andhra Pradesh but also in other states like Tamilnadu, and Karnataka etc.,
In sports and games the student’s participation is awesome. Many trophies were bagged by the students of biotechnology department. Recently the Biotechnology department students have won the runners position in “sarvagnya programme Deccan charges cricket trophy”.
Departmental best practices
The department proposes to organize guest lecturers for B.Tech students in advanced science and technology areas specifically in Mass Transfer Separations, Plant Biotechnology, Heat transfer in Bioprocess
- Prof. S.V.Satyanarayana, Head, Chemical Engineering Dept. JNTU College of Engineering , Anantapur 2008-09 delivered lectures on Mass Transfer Separations to B.Tech students.
- Dr. T.Balanarasaiah, Asst.Prof., Chemical Engineering Dept. JNTU College of Engineering Anantapur 2008-09,2009-10 delivered lectures on Instrumentation and Bioprocess Control to B.Tech students.
- Mr.M.Kalyan Kumar, Asst.Prof., Chemical Engineering Dept. JNTU College of Engineering Anantapur 2009-10 delivered lectures on Heat Transfer in Bio process to B.Tech students
- Mrs. A. Meenakshi, Asst.Prof., Chemical Engineering Dept. JNTU College of Engineering Anantapur 2008-09 delivered lectures on Bio Thermodynamics to B.Tech students.
- Dr. Siva sai, Head of Biotechnology Dept., SNIT, Hyderabad 2008-09 delivered lectures on Immunology to B.Tech students.
- Dr. Rambhoopal, Asst.Prof, Biotechnology Dept., SNIT, Hyderabad 2008-09 delivered lectures on Plant Biotechnology to B.Tech students.
The departmental results are encouraging for the Last Six years.
Attendance registers are maintaining systematically according to the university procedure. Internal examinations are conducting as per the curriculum for 20 marks. All the faculty in the department are maintaining the teaching notes and dairies systematically.